Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Experiences with the Kids

Next Monday I start working full time in the school. I will be there doing in class support from 7:40 until 3:30, and then I help run an after school program until 5:30. Recently I have been in the classroom a couple of days a week, during which time I have experienced some sparkling moments as well as many extended moments of trial. It is challenging for me to tap into patience and trust that eventually I will establish positive relationships with these kids. I seriously expect those fleeting sparkling moments to create for me a genuine respect and responsiveness. Wrong. Very wrong.

I have not been given the authority in the classroom to participate in the "redirection" program. Consequently, I have had to choose the battle that I will undoubtedly win (there are not many to choose from). Unfortunately, I am not very adept at identifying those guaranteed successes. I am continuously learning which battles I tend to lose the hard way. One of the more pointed lessons on this subject happened last week with a student named Terry who decided to make his desk a drum during the lecture. I thought it was strange that the teachers were not addressing this, and as I found it distracting, I assumed that other kids felt the same (however subconsciously). I finally told him to abstain. He looked up at me, faltered for a matter of seconds and continued. Not wanting to have a discussion while the teacher was talking, I backed off. Class 1 - Nora 0.

Last Thursday I finished the school day on a bad note. There is a girl in my class, Jewel, who is an infamous bully. I was sitting on the carpet with Lamont working on vocabulary when she walked by and said something to him that included the word "fish". I had just learned that this word is actually a derogatory term for homosexuals and that my school in particular had issues using it, but Lamont has no characteristics that are stereotypically associated with that sexual orientation, so I was struggling to figure out what had just happened. I tried to see if Lamont seemed negatively affected by what she had just said. He only looked slightly perturbed.

Finally, I asked him. She had called him "fish-lips". My mind started racing for what to say to reassure him of the inaccuracy of the statement without coming across cliche and mother-like. Finally I settled for "You know you're pretty good looking, right? Have people told you that before?"..... Failed.

I went out and talked to Her. Instead of engaging and asking Jewel questions, I talked at her, and every word was absorbed with a domineering smile. I told her that she had to find a time to apologize. Apparently he had called her "fish-lips" and "hippo". I said that I would address that later, but she had to redeem herself. I saw her enter the room with the same smile and seek out Lamont. I assumed the best. Lesson: Do not make a child lie.

Next thing I knew Lamont had disappeared. I went into the hallway where Jewel had returned. And Lamont was retreating rapidly towards the bathroom. I called him back over and stated that I understood that he had called Jewel mean names as well. She smiled. Lamont kept walking away denying that he had said anything. I didn't buy it and drew him over and said that he ought to apologize. Suddenly he started to cry and roll away from me saying that he had never called her any names. I looked at the smirking Jewel and understood that he wasn't lying. I could not deal with Jewel then as Lamont had worked himself into a real state and I felt obligated to calm him down. I walked him outside and started talking with him asking him questions. Apparently, when Jewel had apologized she said "sorry fish-lips". I felt awful for Lamont and having really exacerbated the bullying.

Looking back I would have changed everything in how I handled the situation. Unfortunately, I feel this way about many disciplinary scenarios I have dealt with thus far. Hopefully I will do well analyzing all these and make the necessary adjustments.

Wish me Luck.

Nora

2 comments:

  1. Nora, you may have trusted Jewel more than she deserved, but she was the transgressor, twice, and has to be held accountable. Can you talk to the teachers and get agreement that you will all present a united front against any bullying behaviour? You should be able to count on them to refer a bully to "redirection" instantly and as a matter of highest priority, in my opinion. If they can't agree to that then perhaps you will need to approach administration to make sure that no kid is ever again able to insult another in your presence without consequences. It is just not reasonable for you to be left in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck. I hear that dealing with kids gets easier the more you do it. I wish you success in your future endeavors in this field.

    ReplyDelete